License Plates and Driver's License
The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles has many military/veteran license plates available to eligible veterans as well as special license offers.
The following benefits are available for license and license plate:
- 100 percent service-connected disabled Veterans are eligible for a free driver’s license.
- Upon renewal of a driver’s license, all Ohio Veterans with a valid DD-214 can receive a free “Armed Forces” stamp on their license, which can qualify them for retail discounts.
Military License Plates
Ohio has over 40 varieties of military license plates including:
- Active duty plates
- Reservists plates
- Ohio National Guard plates
- Combat plates
- Gold Star Family plates
These special plates cost the same as a regular plate, and normal vehicle registration fees apply; however, there is no additional charge for these plates if a system-assigned number (not reserved or personalized) is selected.
The following eligibility criteria must be met.
- Veterans must present their DD-214 at the BMV in order to obtain a special military/Veteran plate.
- The DD-214 must confirm the plate type requested (i.e. if you request a Purple Heart plate, your DD-214 must show you received a Purple Heart).
Free License Plates
License plates are available at no charge to:
- 100 percent service-connected disabled Veterans.
- Medal of Honor recipients.
- Former Prisoners of War (POWs)
Phone: 800-589-8247 (8am - 5pm)
Website Information: Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles OPlates